Thursday, January 22, 2009

Things Are Changing

I’m noticing my blog posts seem to be a little lengthy.

Today will be different.

There’s nothing wrong. I’ve had a good week. I’ve managed to get stuff done, workout and stay sane. I just don’t have much to say. (Surprise! Surprise!)

I had Meredith home from school yesterday. Not terribly sick, just a little sniffly but I’m finding she’s getting quite hormonal of late and I felt she needed the day to just regroup and get herself together.

It worked.

Today, she was a different kid. Very happy, very together and only a little sniffly.

But while she was home, I found myself floundering around, unsure of my role and what I needed to do. It used to be, when Meredith was home sick, I had to cancel all my plans for that day and spend the day watching TV with her, doing crafts with her and reading to her. I hovered around, but she really didn’t need me. She watched a movie by herself, had some computer time, and did a bit of homework while I went out and did the groceries and when I got back, she helped me put them away. After we had some lunch together she crawled into bed to read her book. When she was up in her bed, I worried that I was neglecting her. I went up to ask if she needed anything or wanted to do anything and she told me she was exactly where she wanted to be. She’s getting older and more independent and I’m going to have to adjust and get used to it.

I think we’re heading in a new direction.

I hope I’m up for the challenge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

our roles are changing aren't they?...and it makes me sad...

Barbara said...

It sounds like she's a very wise girl ... she must take after her mom.