Friday, November 14, 2008

Stories in Hand

I am taking this Stories in Hand class with Jessica Sprague and while I really haven’t managed to get much of the work done so far, it has made me think. There are so many things that happen on a daily basis that are worthy of remembering but so few of them are remembered. So few, get recorded. They are ordinary moments that happen everyday and often are not really memorable the same way Christmas or milestone birthdays are memorable but rather because of their extraordinary ordinariness. I know for me, when I think back to my childhood there are all kinds of details I just don’t know. What did I do after school? What did we do on the weekends? Or in the evenings after homework and dinner were over? I know they aren’t big things but as a mother I’d like for my children to know this stuff. To know what our life is like now. To know how much I love them and how much my life depends on them. To know how perfect I feel they are. I know there will come a time in the not too distant future when we may not get along as well as we do now, and I need to know that they will be able to look back and know that they are loved. Whatever they do, however they behave, they will always hold my heart in their hands. The stories need to be recorded. In a notebook, in a blog, in a scrapbook, anywhere really. It’s not important where they reside just that they have a home.

No comments: